BREATHE California has taken positions on current legislative bills in accordance with our statewide priorities for the 2019-2020 legislative session. We have been actively tracking topics of concern (Tobacco & E-cigarettes, Green Technology, Air Quality, Respiratory Health Management) as they influence state policy and ultimately work in favor or against the respiratory health and well being of the vulnerable populations we serve.
The leading cause of respiratory diseases like Emphysema and Chronic Bronchitis is smoking. Although the public health push towards reducing cigarette consumption through taxes and health education has worked, E-cigarettes are now the most commonly used nicotine product among youth.
- SB 8 (Glazer) State parks: state coastal beaches: smoking ban – Signed into law
- SB 39 (Hill, Glazer, Portantino) Tobacco Products – Signed into law
- SB 424 (Jackson) Tobacco products: single-use and multiuse components
- SB 574 (Leyva) Cosmetic Fragrance and Flavor Ingredient Right to Know Act of 2019
- SB 793 (Hill) Flavored tobacco products
- AB 1626 (R. Rivas) Cigarettes: administration. Attorney General.
- AB 1639 (Gray, Cunningham, R. Rivas, Kamlager-Dove) Tobacco products
Supporting our mission, these bills help promote clean air and healthy lungs through green and clean technology.
- AB 409 (Limón) Climate change: agriculture: Agriculture Climate Adaptation Tools Program: grants
- AB 639 (Cervantes) Task Force on Addressing Workforce Impacts of Transitioning Seaports to a Lower Carbon Economy: California Workforce Development Board: informational report
- AB 938 (R. Rivas) Sales and use taxes: exclusion: low-emission motor vehicle: trade-in
- AB 1046 (Ting) Air Quality Improvement Program: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
- AB 1080 (Gonzalez, Calderon, Friedman, Ting) Solid waste: packaging and products
- AB 1100 (Kamlager-Dove) Electric Vehicles: Parking Requirements – Signed into law
- AB 1115 (Quirk-Silva) California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006: Low-Carbon Fuel Standard regulations
- AB 1371 (Cunningham) California Renewables Portfolio Standard Program: offshore wind generation
- AB 1500 (Carillo) Hazardous Substances
- SB 44 (Skinner) Medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles: comprehensive strategy – Signed into law
- SB 210 (Leyva) Heavy-Duty Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Program – Signed into law
- SB 216 (Galgiani) Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Standards Attainment
- SB 662 (Archuleta) Green electrolytic hydrogen
Air pollution from wildfires has become an urgent concern given the increasing number of poor air quality days Californians have been experiencing.
- AB 661 (McCarty) Wildfire Smoke Air Pollution Emergency Plan
- AB 836 (Wicks) Wildfire Smoke Clean Air Centers for Vulnerable Populations Incentive Program – Signed into law
- AB 1124 (Maienschein) Employment Safety: Outdoor workers: wildfire smoke
- SB 167 (Dodd) Electrical corporations: wildfire mitigation plans
- SB 209 (Dodd) Wildfires: California Wildfire Warning Center: fire-weather monitoring – Signed into law
Asthma and COPD management through education and health professional guidance is necessary to support individuals living with respiratory disease. Access to these services in schools and in underrepresented communities is ideal to lessen the burden of disease for such.
- AB 258 (Jones-Sawyer) School-based Student Support Services Program – Signed into law
- AB 1131 (Gloria) Medi-Cal: comprehensive medication management
- AB 1322 (Berman) School-based health programs – Signed into law
- AB 2144 (Arambula) Health care coverage: step therapy
- AB 2144 (Mayes) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): research, education, and treatment
- SB 207 (Hurtado) Medi-Cal: asthma presentative services – Signed into law